Friday, June 22, 2012

1 Year Later...

Hello all.

So, I've realized that people still read this blog even though I stopped updating it over a year ago. I've been feeling guilty about it ever since. Kind of like how I felt guilty for six months following the wedding about failing to send out the thank-you notes on time.

But rest assured: the wedding did happen. And it was glorious. Stressful at first, but glorious. Actually, there was quite a bit of stress prior to the wedding for multiple reasons, and that's why the blog took a backseat.  Even after the Seattle honeymoon we had a lot of uncertainties and changes to sort out with our jobs, living situation, etc. But I can honestly say that with our first year of marriage under our belts, we've become stronger as a couple, in our faith, and with our family and friends. There is seriously no way that we could have pulled-off that wedding without the help of our amazing bridal party members and their families. I'll admit I can be quite the anxiety-ridden-perfectionistic-control freak at times, especially with something like my own wedding (duh), but I was amazed by how much they stepped-up and took care of business over the course of that weekend.

Throughout everything that has happened since the blog took a pause, my husband has been the strong, calm one. That may be the main reason why I married him, besides being the perfect combination of nerdy and manly. One of my favorite wedding memories was when I was getting ready with my bridesmaids, just about to get into my dress, and wondering what the heck was going on outside with all of the vendors arriving and setting-up, when he knocked on the door and told one of the girls, "Just tell her not to worry, everything looks beautiful." That's all I needed to hear.

There are way too many pretty wedding pictures to upload on here, so here are the links to my Facebook albums here and here.

One year later, we find ourselves with new jobs, in a new apartment, with our two kitties, and lots of Ikea furniture. Everyone keeps saying that they can't believe it's been a year already, and I have to agree. It doesn't even seem like last year really counted, maybe more like marriage orientation. So although I'm not in much of a position to give marital advice quite yet, I do have some advice for brides planning their weddings:

1. It may be cliché, but don't expect perfection. I thought I'd thought of everything, and I mean everything, after having over two years to plan that wedding, and there were still things that didn't go quite right. For the sake of a good laugh, I'll name a couple:

  • Even though I forgot to bring glass hurricanes for the unity candles, the coordinator insisted that we still use them during the ceremony with a lighter hidden behind them as a back-up. It didn't work. What resulted were several photos of us posing with unlit candles, and several laughing guests. So if you're having an outdoor wedding, I'd try something other than candles, it's just not worth the risk. 
  • In case you haven't seen the pictures yet, let me preface this by saying that we got married in a mountain resort in a very small mountain town, where there is 1 and only 1 store for many miles. About an hour before the ceremony started, the caterer told my maid of honor that apparently I was supposed to buy plastic cups for the drinks, which was never in any of the contracts that I signed, or brought up prior to the big day despite the several emails sent back and forth about many other details. So, my maid of honor's husband ran to the only store in town on a mission, and came back with red, blue, and yellow solo party cups. This is why, despite spending extra money to have real china and champagne glasses on the reception tables, people walked around with red solo cups of wine. Classy.
2. Delegate. Don't think you can do it all on your own. Seriously. Just stop it.
3. Don't bother getting your dress dry cleaned prior to the wedding if you're getting married in the woods and taking pictures before the ceremony. The extra expense went right down the drain as soon as I stepped outside. 
4. If you're having a honeymoon, don't plan anything for at least the first couple of days. We flew out to Seattle early the next morning and spent the majority of that day passed-out from exhaustion. The rest of the trip was fueled by the fine espresso of Pike Place Market. I've never been a huge fan of exotic beach-y vacations, mostly because of my pale complexion that can't handle more than 10 minutes of direct sun exposure, but I understand now why almost everyone plans a honeymoon that only consists of a nice hotel room at an all-inclusive resort within walking distance of a nice beach where cocktails are served endlessly. That's about all one can ask of a bride for a week following the wedding. Just saying.

That's about it. I might start-up another blog in the future, when I feel that I have things to blog about without embarrassing the husband. Until then, we'll be carrying on with our lives in Chino, learning more every day about how to be married. 

For those of you planning weddings, I wish you the best of luck, and don't worry, they'll be fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment