Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lovecakes

Today one more thing got checked-off the master to-do list: cake tasting! While this is perhaps the highlight of many couples' planning process, I will admit I was a bit apprehensive.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the one cake designer that was included in my catering contract. The slightly out of date pictures I had seen didn't leave much to the imagination, other than your typical topsy-turvy cakes, and buttercream creations loaded with fresh flowers instead of sugar work. And the fact of the matter is that everyone knows I'm a cake-making-aholic, with rather specific opinions on what is cute, as well as what has crossed the line into tacky. I tend to gravitate towards the more simply-decorated creations, however those can sometimes be harder to make than more busy-looking designs, with lots of swirly-type things or unnecessary use of stencils. I'm all for unique wedding cakes that put a personal touch on a celebration, but some of the ones I've seen leave me to wonder. I mean, a hot pink and zebra-striped wedding cake is enough on its own without crystals dangling from all five layers, regardless of what may have been aired on Cakeboss or even Ace of Cakes. Just sayin'.

So anyway, I had gathered dozens of pictures from Martha Stewart Weddings and The Knot of cakes that I thought were doable for most any baker, but still kept my expectations at bay. I was fully prepared to give-up on the idea that she would be able to create sugar flowers, or even use fondant properly, and settle for a more simple rustic-looking buttercream cake. This morning while waiting for Darryl to get back from SAT proctoring, I narrowed the list down to about five, having received his opinions from the night before. Traffic was terrible on the way up to Twin Peaks, but lucky for us there wasn't really any snow left on the roads to cause further delays.

Much like the other preferred vendors I have met thus far from our venue, I was pleasantly surprised. She had brought more recent photos of her work, which were much more impressive than the ones I had seen. Turns out, she has been dying to do the kind of cake that I had envisioned, and had several magazine clippings that either matched the ones I had, or were better. She did her sketches while we devoured cake samples, and in the end we decided to have three small two-three tiered cakes on vintage cake stands, each a different flavor, and covered in fondant with pipped vintage-y designs inspired by the glassware that will be on the reception tables. Taste wise, the samples were better than expected as well, especially the signature champagne cake with chiffon filling which will be the main center cake, flanked by a red velvet and a spice cake on either side. While I'm still going to expect the unexpected when the time comes to actually see the final product, I'm positive they'll be amazing.

In other news, I'm working on getting whatever vendors we need booked by the end of this month. Honestly, I wasn't in much of a rush until I found out that the DJ I had in mind has already been booked for our date, so we need to decide soon if we should hire an alternate, or go iTunes style with help from family and friends. There are pros and cons to both. On the one hand, a DJ can prevent all-out disasters from happening, such as music cutting-out in the middle of a song, or the sound not working at all. They can also insure that the party will move along as planned without unnecessary delays. But on the other hand, good ones are expensive, and I've been to weddings where they have hired a not-so-good one who totally disregarded the couple's music taste, or didn't announce things at the right time, or even mispronounced their names. So, still thinking about it. In the mean time, I will be accepting song requests on facebook soon, just in case.

2 comments:

  1. awesome! happy to hear that the cake tasting went well. everything is coming together! did you guys already take photos? so many questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, i dressed cute just in case we took photos but we just weren't feeling it lol

    ReplyDelete